Dr. Don Bender, P.E.
Weyerhaeuser Professor, Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering
Phone: (509) 335-2829
- Ph.D., 1984 - Purdue University
- M.S., 1980 - Virginia Tech. University
- B.S., 1979 - Virginia Tech. University
- Professor, Civil & Environmental Engineering; and Director, Composite Materials & Engineering Center Washington State University, Pullman, WA 1997-present
- Professor, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX, 1994-97
- Associate Professor, Texas A&M University, College Station, 1989-94
- Assistant Professor, Texas A&M University, College Station, 1984-89
- Interim Department Head, Texas A&M University, 1993-94
- Visiting Scientist, USDA Forest Products Laboratory, Madison, WI, 1991-92
- Weyerhaeuser Distinguished Professor, WSU, 1997 - present
- Leon Luck Faculty Award. 2007. Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering, Washington State University
- Outstanding Teaching Faculty Award, College of Engineering and Architecture, Washington State University, 2002
- Six national-level journal article awards from SWST, FPS and ASABE
- Two national-level award from post-frame building industry
- Engineering analysis and design of timber structures
- Deck safety
- Laboratory testing and analysis of engineered wood components
- Composite materials, connections and assemblies
- Post-frame construction
- Nondestructive evaluation of wood materials
- Wood durability
- Building envelopes
- Design of Timber Structures
- Advanced Wood Engineering
- Probability and Statistical Models in Engineering
- Parsons, B.J., D.A. Bender, J.D. Dolan and F.E. Woeste. 2013. Deck and porch floor lateral loading by occupants. ASCE Practice Periodical on Structural Design and Construction (accepted).
- Parsons, B.J., Bender, D.A., Dolan, J.D., Tichy, R.J., and Woeste, F.E. 2013. Lateral load path and capacity of exterior decks. ASCE Practice Periodical on Structural Design and Construction (accepted).
- Lyman, G.H. and D.A. Bender. 2013. Wind load determination for residential decks. Wood Design Focus – A Journal of Contemporary Wood Engineering 23(2):3-8.
- Lyman, G.H., D.A. Bender and J.D. Dolan. 2013. Seismic load determination for residential decks. Wood Design Focus – A Journal of Contemporary Wood Engineering 23(2):9-14
- Bender, D.A. and F.E. Woeste. 2011. Creep deflection in design of metal plate connected wood trusses. ASCE Practice Periodical on Structural Design and Construction 16(1):10-14.
- Graham, D.A., D.M. Carradine, D.A. Bender and J.D. Dolan. 2010. Performance of log shear walls subjected to monotonic and reverse-cyclic loading. ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering 136(1):37-45.
- Kimble, R.E. and D.A. Bender. 2010. Stability of built-up timber beams and columns – accounting or modulus of elasticity variability. ASCE Practice Periodical on Structural Design and Construction 15(4):272-277.
- Ross, L.A., D.A. Bender and D.M. Carradine. 2009. Performance of post-frame shear walls with a wood-plastic composite skirtboard subjected to monotonic racking loads. Transactions of the ASABE 52(2):583-589.
- Carradine, D.M., D.A. Bender, F.E. Woeste and J.R. Loferski. 2007. Development of design capacities for residential deck ledger connections. Forest Products Journal 57(3):29-33.
- Schwab, S.C., D.A. Bender, D.M. Carradine and F.E. Woeste. 2007. Tensile strength of oriented strandboard as affected by specimen width. Forest Products Journal 57(6):39-45.