Dr. Don Bender, P.E.
Weyerhaeuser Professor, Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering
Phone: (509) 335-2829
- Ph.D., 1984 - Purdue University
- M.S., 1980 - Virginia Tech. University
- B.S., 1979 - Virginia Tech. University
- Professor, Civil & Environmental Engineering; and Director, Composite Materials & Engineering Center Washington State University, Pullman, WA 1997-present
- Professor, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX, 1994-97
- Associate Professor, Texas A&M University, College Station, 1989-94
- Assistant Professor, Texas A&M University, College Station, 1984-89
- Interim Department Head, Texas A&M University, 1993-94
- Visiting Scientist, USDA Forest Products Laboratory, Madison, WI, 1991-92
- Weyerhaeuser Distinguished Professor, WSU, 1997 - present
- Leon Luck Faculty Award. 2007. Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering, Washington State University
- Outstanding Teaching Faculty Award, College of Engineering and Architecture, Washington State University, 2002
- Six national-level journal article awards from SWST, FPS and ASABE
- Two national-level award from post-frame building industry
- Design and construction of timber structures
- Engineering properties of wood-based materials
- Hygrothermal properties of building envelopes
- Design of Timber Structures
- Advanced Wood Engineering
- Probability and Statistical Models in Engineering
- Graham, D.A., D.M. Carradine, D.A. Bender and J.D. Dolan. 2010. Performance of log shear walls subjected to monotonic and reverse-cyclic loading. ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering 136(1):37-45.
- Kimble, R.E. and D.A. Bender. 2010. Stability of built-up timber beams and columns – accounting or modulus of elasticity variability. ASCE Practice Periodical on Structural Design and Construction (in press).
- Ross, L.A., D.A. Bender and D.M. Carradine. 2009. Performance of post-frame shear walls with wood-plastic composite skirtboards subjected to monotonic racking loads. Transactions of the ASABE, 52(2):583-589.
- Carradine, D.M., D.A. Bender, F.E. Woeste and J.R. Loferski. 2007. Development of design capacities for residential deck ledger connections. Forest Products Journal, 57(3):29-33.
- Schwab, S.C., D.A. Bender, D.M. Carradine and F.E. Woeste. 2007. Tensile strength of oriented strand board as affected by specimen width. Forest Products Journal, 57(6):39-45.
- Tucker, B.J., D.A. Bender, D.G. Pollock and M.P. Wolcott. 2003. Ultrasonic plate wave evaluation of natural fiber composite panels. Wood and Fiber Science, 35(2):266-281.
- Shrestha, D., D.A. Bender and F.E. Woeste. 2003. T-brace design for MPC wood truss webs. Forest Products Journal, 53(1):61-69.
- Rammer, D.G., S.G. Winistorfer and D.A. Bender. 2001. Withdrawal strength of threaded nails. ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering 127(4):442-449.
- Dickens, J.R., D.E. Bray and D.A. Bender. 1997. Beam profiles in wood from critically refracted longitudinal wave probes. Materials Evaluation, 55(6):721-725.
- Bender, D.A., F.E. Woeste, E.L. Schaffer, and C.M. Marx. 1985. Reliability formulation for strength and fire endurance of glued laminated beams. USDA Forest Service Research Paper FPL 460, U.S. Forest Products Laboratory, Madison, WI. 43 p.