Marc Beutel, PhD, PE
- Ph.D., Civil and Environmental Engineering, 2000 - University of California , Berkeley
- M.S., Civil and Environmental Engineering, 1994 - University of California, Berkeley
- B.S., Civil Engineering, 1990 - University of California, Los Angeles, Cum Laude
- Professional Engineer, State of California C65783
- Associate professor, Washington State University, 2011-present
- Assistant Professor, Washington State University, 2004-2011
- Principal Engineer, Water Resources, Brown and Caldwell, Walnut Creek, CA, 2001-2004
- Junior/Assistant Engineer, East Bay Municipal Utility District, Oakland, CA, 1990-1993
- WSU Civil and Environmental Engineering Department 2012 Outstanding Teaching Award
- NFS 2009 CAREER Grant Program, Environmental Engineering. Fundamental Understanding of Mercury Cycling in Lakes and Use of Reservation-Based Research to Recruit American Indians into Environmental Engineering and Science.
- WSU 2005 Faculty Seed Grant. Enhanced Biodegradation of Chlorpyrifos in Constructed Treatment Wetlands Using Wet-Dry Pulsing.
- Fulbright Post-Doctoral Award, 2000-2001, Swiss Federal Institute for Environmental Science and Technology, Kastanienbaum Limnological Institute, Lucerne.
- Mercury: Cycling in Lake Ecosystems; Affects of Redox Potential on Mercury Efflux from Profundal Sediments
- Lake and Reservoir Management: Lake Oxygenation; Mercury Cycling in Lake Ecosystems; Exchange of Compounds between Profundal Sediments and Water Column; Saline Lakes.
- Natural Treatment Systems: Constructed Wetlands for Nitrate Removal; Enhancing Ammonia Removal in Natural Treatment Systems.
- Fluid Mechanics (undergraduate)
- Water Resources Engineering (undergraduate)
- Restoration of Aquatic Ecosystems (graduate)
- Natural Treatment Systems (graduate)
- Beutel, M.W., L. DeSilva, S.R. Dent, J.K. Vaughan, B.K. Lamb. Direct measurement of dry and wet mercury deposition at rural and suburban sites in Washington, USA. Science of the Total Environment. In review.
- Beutel, M.W., L. Larson. Pathogen removal from urban pond water using a simple rock biofilter. Ecological Engineering. In review
- Beutel, M.W., V. Whritenour, E. Brouillard. 2013. Fecal coliform removal in a lightly loaded surface-flow constructed treatment wetland polishing agricultural runoff. Water Science and Technology. 68(4):909–915.
- Beutel, M.W. 2012. Water quality in a surface-flow constructed treatment wetland polishing tertiary effluent from a municipal wastewater treatment plant. Water Science and Technology. 28:245-254.
- Gebremariam, S.Y., M.W. Beutel, M. Flury, J.B. Harsh, D.R. Yonge. 2012. Non-singular adsorption/desorption of chlorpyrifos in soils and sediments: Experimental results and modeling. Environmental Science & Technology. 46:869–875.
- Gebremariam, S.Y., M.W. Beutel, D.R. Yonge, M. Flury, J.B. Harsh. 2011. Sorption and Desorption of Chlorpyrifos: A Review. Review of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology. 215:123-175.
- Allen, J.G., M.W. Beutel, D.R. Call, A.M. Fischer. 2010. Ammonia oxidation potential and microbial diversity in sediment from experimental oxygen-activated nitrification wetlands. Bioresource Technology. 101:1389-1392.
- Gebremariam, S.Y., M.W. Beutel. 2010. Effects of drain-fill cycling on chlorpyrifos mineralization in wetland sediment-water microcosms. Chemosphere. 78: 1337-1341.
- Beutel, M.W., C.D. Newton, E.S. Brouillard, R.J. Watts. 2009. Nitrate removal in surface-flow constructed wetlands treating dilute agricultural runoff in the lower Yakima Basin, Washington. Ecological Engineering. 35:1538-1546.
- Palmer, H.R., M.W. Beutel, S.Y. Gebremariam. 2009. High rates of ammonia removal in oxygen-activated nitrifying wetland mesocosms. ASCE Journal of Environmental Engineering. 135: 972-979.
- Beutel, M.W., T.M. Leonard, S.R. Dent, B.C. Moore. 2008. Effects of aerobic and anaerobic conditions on P, N, Fe, Mn and Hg accumulation in waters overlaying profundal sediments of an oligo-mesotrophic lake. Water Research. 42:1953–1962.