Dr. Shane Brown
Phone: (509) 335-7847
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, 2005, Oregon State University
- M.S., Environmental Engineering, 1998, University of California , Davis
- B.S., Civil Engineering, 1995, Oregon State University
- Professional Civil Engineer, State of California, License #60356
- Assistant Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering, WSU, 2008 - Present
- Clinical Assistant Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering, WSU, 2005 – 2008
- Graduate Research and Teaching Assistant, Civil Engineering, Oregon State University, 2002 - June 2005
- Instructor, Central Oregon Community College , 2001 - 2002, 2004 - 2005
- Project Manager, Eco:Logic Engineering, Rocklin , California , 1998 - 2001
- Staff Engineer, Dames & Moore, Sacramento , California , 1997 - 1998
- ASCE ExCEEd National New Faculty Excellence in Teaching Award, 2008
- National Academy of Engineering Center for Advancement of Scholarship in Engineering Education Apprentice Faculty Award, 2007
- American Society for Engineering Education Pacific Northwest Section Outstanding Teaching Award, 2007
- WSU, Civil & Environmental Engineering Outstanding Advisor, 2006-2007
- Outstanding Teaching Faculty Award, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, WSU, 2006
- Herbert F. Frolander Outstanding Graduate Teaching Assistant Award, Oregon State University, 2004
- Best Paper Award, American Society for Engineering Education, Pacific Northwest Section Conference, April 2004 and April 2008
- Outstanding Service Award, California Water Environment Association, Sacramento Area Section, 2001
- Social capital and engineering education. The value of social networks and pro-social norms in retention and academic success of students
- Conceptual understanding of engineering fundamentals, conceptual change, and misconceptions.
- Engineering teaching and learning
- Water resources engineering
- Water quality
- Strength of materials
- Andrews, B., S. Brown, and D. Montfort. and M. Dixon. Student Understanding of Sight Distance in Geometric Design: Beginning Line of Inquiry to Characterize Student Understanding of Transportation Engineering, Journal of the Transportation Research Board. 2010.
- Brown, S. and C. Poor. In-Class Peer Tutoring: A Model for Engineering Instruction, International Journal of Engineering Education. 2010.
- Montfort, D., S. Brown. An Investigation of Students’ Conceptual Understanding in Related Sophomore to Graduate-Level Engineering and Mechanics Courses, Journal of Engineering Education. April 2009.
- Brown, S., L. Flick. The Role and Development of Social Capital in an Electrical Engineering Lab, Journal of Engineering Education. January 2009.
- Kyte, M., M. Dixon, and S. Brown. A Process for Improving the Design of Transportation Curriculum Materials with Examples, Journal of the Transportation Research Board. 2010.