Dr. David McLean
Phone: (509) 335-6832
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, 1987 - Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
- M.S., Civil Engineering, 1982 - Colorado State University, Fort Collins
- B.S., Civil Engineering, 1980 - Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge
- Professional Civil Engineering, State of Washington, License # 27089
- Chair, Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering, WSU, 2003-present
- Professor, Civil & Environmental Engineering, WSU, 1999-present
- Associate Dean for Undergraduate Programs, College of Engineering & Architecture, WSU, 1998-2003
- Associate Professor, Civil & Environmental Engineering, WSU, 1993-99
- Assistant Professor, Civil & Environmental Engineering, WSU, 1987-93
- Research Structural Engineer, National Bureau of Standards, 1984-86
- Engineer, Louisiana Department of Transportation, 1980-81
- 2010 Engineer of Merit Award from the Inland Empire Section of the American Society of Civil Engineers for distinguished service to the engineering profession.
- Scalzi Research Award presented annually by The Masonry Society for outstanding, lifetime contributions to masonry research, 2008.
- Fellow of The Masonry Society. Elected 2006.
- ASTM Alan Yorkdale Award for outstanding technical paper in masonry, co-recipient with J. Greenwald and J. Thompson, for “Effects of Confinement Reinforcement on Bar Splice Performance,” Proceedings of the 10th Canadian Masonry Symposium, 2005.
- Consultant to Welch, Comer and Associates, Engineers on the Milo Creek Flood Control Project in Wardner, Idaho that received the 2001 Grand Conceptor from the Consulting Engineers of Idaho as well as a 2001 "National Engineering Excellence Award" from the American Consulting Engineers Council.
- Leon Luck Faculty Award for the most effective professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, 1998-99 and 1990-91.
- ASTM Alan Yorkdale Award for outstanding technical paper in masonry, co-recipient with J. Thompson and T. Young, for "Tension Lap Splices in Reinforced Concrete Masonry," Proceedings of the Eighth Canadian Masonry Conference, 1998.
- Outstanding Faculty Researcher Award in Civil and Environmental Engineering, Washington State University, 1994-95
- Golden Key National Honor Society, Washington State University Academic Advisor of the Year Award, 1991
- Outstanding Teaching Faculty Member in Civil and Environmental Engineering, Washington State University, 1994-95 and 1990-91
- Behavior and design of reinforced concrete, masonry, and timber structures
- Seismic response and strengthening of structures
- Introduction to Engineering
- Steel Design
- Reinforced Concrete Design
- Prestressed Concrete Design
- Reinforced Masonry Design
- Structural Design Laboratory
- Advanced Topics in Steel Design
- Advanced Reinforced Concrete Design
- Earthquake Engineering
- Davis, C.L., McLean, D.I. and Ingham, J.M., “Evaluation of Design Provisions for In-Plane Shear in Masonry Walls,” The Masonry Society Journal, Vol. 28, No. 1, July 2010.
- 38. ElGawady, M., Endeshaw, M., McLean, D.I. and Sack, R, “Retrofitting of Rectangular Columns with Deficient Lap Splices,” ASCE Journal of Composites for Construction, Jan.-Feb. 2010.
- 37. Yang, M., Qiao, P., McLean, D.I. and Khaleghi, B., “Effects of Intermediate Diaphragms in Prestressed Concrete Bridge Girders to Over-Height Truck Impacts,” PCI Journal, Winter 2010.
- Shattarat, N.K. and McLean, D.I., “Seismic Behavior and Retrofit of Outrigger Knee Joints,” ASCE Journal of Bridge Engineering, Vol. 12, Issue 5, pp. 591-599, Sept.-Oct. 2007.
- Stapleton, S., McDaniel, C.C., McLean, D.I. and Cofer, W.F., “Performance of Lightly-Confined Reinforced Concrete Columns in Long Duration Subduction Zone Earthquakes,” Transportation Research Record, No. 1928, 2005, pp. 185-192.