Dr. Pizhong Qiao (Chiao)
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, (Solid Mechanics, Structures, and Advanced Materials), 1997 - West Virginia University
- M.S., Civil Engineering (Structures), 1993 - Florida Atlantic University
- B.S., Naval Architecture (Structures), 1991 - East China Shipbuilding Institute (now Jiangsu University of Science and Technology)
- Professional Civil Engineering, State of West Virginia, License No. 13993
- Certified in the Practice of Structural Engineering from Structural Engineering Certification Board (SECB), Certification No. 1974-0306
- Professor, Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering, Washington State University, 2008 - present
- Associate Professor, Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering, Washington State University, 2006 - 2008
- Associate Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, The University of Akron, 2002 - 2006
- Assistant Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, The University of Akron, 1999 - 2002
- Research Assistant Professor, Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering, West Virginia University, 1998 - 1999
- Lecturer and Post-doctoral Fellow, Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering, West Virginia University, 1997 - 1998
- Outstanding Research Faculty, Civil & Environmental Engineering, 2011
- Outstanding Technical Contribution Award, Aerospace Division, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), 2007 (2nd recipient in the award history)
- Fellow, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), April 2007
- Outstanding Teacher of the Year, College of Engineering, The University of Akron, 2006 (selected by the Engineering Honor Society - Tau Beta Pi Student Chapter)
- Outstanding Researcher of the Year, College of Engineering, The University of Akron, 2005
- Excellence Award, in Recognition of Accomplishment and Overall Productivity in the area of Advanced Materials and Mechanics, Department of Civil Engineering, The University of Akron, 2000 - 2001
- Excellence in Teaching Award, Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering, West Virginia University, 2000
- Modern Plastics Magazine Award, Modern Plastics Magazine, 1999
- Overall Best Paper Award, Composites Institute, Society of Plastics Industry, 1999
- Best Design Paper Award, Composites Institute, Society of Plastics Industry, 1999
- Best Research Paper Award, Journal of Composites for Construction, ASCE, 1999
- Outstanding Young Researcher of the Year, College of Engineering and Mineral Resources, West Virginia University, 1997 - 1998
- Outstanding Graduate Student Award for Research Excellence, Sigma Xi - The Scientific Research Society, West Virginia University Chapter, 1996 - 1997
- Best Design Paper Award, Composites Institute, Society of Plastics Industry, 1996
- Analytical and Applied Mechanics
- Characterization and Mechanics of Concrete Materials
- Advanced Polymer Composite Materials in Civil Infrastructure (Infrastructure Composites)
- Mechanics of Composite Materials and Structures
- Fiber Reinforced Plastic (FRP) Structural Shapes
- Smart Composites and Structures
- Structural Health Monitoring
- Impact Mechanics and High Energy Absorption Materials
- Fracture of Bonded Interfaces (FRP-Wood and FRP-Concrete)
- Advanced and High Performance Materials for Highway Bridge Applications
- Reinforced Concrete Design
- Structural Composites
- Advanced Mechanics of Materials
- Advanced Reinforced Concrete Design
- Advanced Engineering Materials
- Advanced Composite Mechanics
- Qiao, PZ, Fan, W, Davalos, JF, and Zou, GP (2008). “Optimization of Transverse Shear Moduli for Composite Honeycomb Cores,” Composite Structures, 85(3):265-274.
- Qiao, PZ and Chen, FL (2008). “An Improved Adhesively Bonded Bi-layer Beam Model for Plated Beams,” Engineering Structures, 30(7):1949-1957.
- Qiao, PZ, and Chen, Y. (2008) “Cohesive Fracture Simulation and Failure Modes of FRP-concrete Bonded Interfaces,” Theoretical and Applied Fracture Mechanics, 49(2): 213-225.
- Yang, MJ and Qiao, PZ (2008). “Quasi-static Crushing Behavior of Aluminum Honeycomb Materials,” Journal of Sandwich Structures and Materials, 10(2): 133-160.
- Qiao, PZ, Lu, K., and Lestari, W. (2008). “A Combined Static/dynamic Technique for Damage Detection of Laminated Composite Plates,” Experimental Mechanics, An International Journal, 48(1), 17-35.
- Shan, LY and Qiao, PZ, (2008). “Explicit Local Buckling Analysis of Rotationally Restrained Plates under Uniaxial Compression,” Engineering Structures, 30(1): 126-140.
- Wang, JL and Qiao, PZ, (2008) “On Irregularity-based Damage Detection Method for Cracked Beams,” International Journal of Solids and Structures, 45(2): 688-704.