Dr. Michael Wolcott
Phone: 509) 335-6392
- Ph.D., Materials Engineering Science, 1989 - Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University
- M.S., Forestry, 1985 - University of Maine at Orono
- B.S., Wood Science, 1982 - University of Maine at Orono
- Regents Professor, Washington State University, Pullman, WA, 2012 - present
- Director, Institute for Sustainable Design, Washington State University, Pullman, WA, 2008 - present
- Professor, Washington State University, Pullman, WA, 2004-2012
- Associate Professor, Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering, Washington State University, 1996-2004
- Assistant Professor of Wood Science, West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV, 1989-96
- Graduate Project, Research, and Teaching Assistant, VPI&SU, Blacksburg, VA, 1985-89
- Fellow, International Academy of wood Science, 2012, meritorious recognition of wood scientists in evidence of high scientific standards
- Leon Luck Most Effective Professor, 2009, Civil and Env. Engineering, Washington State University
- Career Achievement Award, 2009, College of Natural Resources (Alumnus), Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA
- Outstanding Teaching Faculty, 2007, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Washington State University, Pullman, WA.
- Anjan Bose Outstanding Researcher Award, 2005, College of Engineering and Architecture, Washington State University, Pullman, WA.
- Outstanding Research Faculty, 2004, College of Engineering and Architecture, Washington State University, Pullman, WA.
- Outstanding Research Faculty, 2004/2005, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Washington State University, Pullman, WA.
- Distinguished Alumni, 2002, College of Agriculture and Forestry, University of Maine, Orono, ME.
- Composite material development
- Extrusion processing
- Viscoelasticity and rheology
- Anisotropic elasticity
- Statics and Strength of Materials
- Advanced Mechanics of Materials
- Composite Materials
- Ten, E., D.F. Bahr, B. Lin, L. Jiang, and M.P Wolcott. 2012. Effects of cellulose nanowhiskers on mechanical, dielectric, and rheological properties of poly(3-hydroxybutyrate-co-3-hydroxyvalerate)/cellulose nanowhiskers composites. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research. 51(7):2941-2951.
- Migneault, S., A. Koubaa, F. Erchiqui, A. Chaalla, K.R. Englund, and M.P. Wolcott. 2011. Application of micromechanical models to tensile properties of wood–plastic composites. Wood Science and Technology. DOI: 10.1007/s00226-010-0351-5. 45(3):521-532.
- Wang, J.W., M.P.G. Laborie, and M.P. Wolcott. 2011. Correlation of mechanical and chemical cure development for phenol-formaldehyde resin bonded wood joints. Thermochimica Acta. 513(1-2):20-25.
- Wolcott, M., S. Brown, M. King, D. Ascher-Barnstone, T. Beyreuther and K. Olsen. 2011. A model for faculty, student, and practitioner development in sustainability engineering through an integrated design experience. ASCE Journal of Professional Issues in Engineering Education and Practice. DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)EI.1943-5541.0000058. 137(2):94-101.
- Gacitua, W., D. Bahr and M. Wolcott. 2010. Damage of the cell wall during extrusion and injection molding of wood plastic composites. Composites Part A. Applied Science and Manufacturing. 41(10):1454-1460.
- Jiang, L., F. Chen, J. Qian, J.J. Huang, M. Wolcott, L.S. Liu and J. Zhang. 2010. Reinforcing and toughening effects of bamboo pulp fiber on Poly(3-hydroxybutyrate-co-3-hydroxyvalerate) fiber composites. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research. 49(2):572-577.
- Ten, E., J. Turtle, D. Bahr, L. Jiang, and M. Wolcott. 2010. Thermal and mechanical properties of poly(3-hydroxybutyrate-co-3-hydroxyvalerate)/cellulose nanowhiskers composites. Polymer. 51(12):2652-2660.
- Yang, H.S., P. Qiao, and M.P Wolcott. 2010. Flexural Fatigue and Reliability Analysis of Wood Flour/High-Density Polyethylene Composites. Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites. 29(9):1295-1310.
- Yang, H.S., P. Qiao, and M.P Wolcott. 2010. Fatigue characterization and reliability analysis of wood flour filled polypropylene composites. Polymer Composites. (31)4:553-560.
- Harper,D.P., M.P. Wolcott, and M.P.G. Laborie. 2009. The Impact of Polypropylene-graft-Maleic Anhydride on the Crystallization and Dynamic Mechanical Properties of Isotactic Polypropylene. Journal of Applied Polymer Science. 111(2):753-758.
- Coats, E.R., F.J. Loge, M.P. Wolcott, K. Englund, and A.G. McDonald. 2008. Production of natural fiber reinforced thermoplastic composites through the use of polyhydroxybutyrate-rich biomass. Bioresource Technology. (99)7:2680-2686.
- Fabiyi, J.S., A.G. McDonald, M.P. Wolcott, and P.R. Griffiths. 2008. Wood Plastic Composites Weathering: Visual Appearance and Chemical Changes. Polymer Degradation and Stability. 93(8):1405-1414.